Monday, July 28, 2008

Finer things make the world a better place

I have been extra culturally cognizant the past few days. First, for Book Klub, we have been reading Three Cups of Tea, a story about a mountaineer who becomes a humanitarian and builds schools in poor villages in Pakistan and Afghanistan. I am only about a quarter of the way through the book, but so far the story is remarkable and I am devouring it. It's almost hard to believe that people like this man actually exist. He is fighting his own war on terror by bringing EDUCATION to the poor. It's freaking genius.

Tonight I also watched Persepolis, an animated film based on a true story of a girl growing up in Iran in the late 70's. I suppose I would recommend it just because it is different -- you don't encounter many first-person narratives of what it's like growing up in Iran, and the animation isn't produced by Disney/Pixar. Also, it was number 15 on the Howard 2007 Movie List. I got this image from amazon:

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed three cups of tea. It kinda made me want to change the world.

    Persepolis is on my list of movies to see.

    ReplyDelete