Sunday, April 5, 2009

The Believers

The Believers
by Zoe Heller

A slice of life type of novel. I read it all day today. I read it at work -- waiting for my computer to boot up-- which I promptly left to continue reading. I read it at Starbucks, paired with a steaming cappuccino. I read it on the balcony for hours, took a nap on said balcony, and continued reading. I read it so much that I don't want to talk about it. So I will just type out the book jacket, if you don't mind.

When radical New York lawyer Joel Litvinoff is felled by a stroke, his wife, Audrey, uncovers a secret that forces her to reexamine everything she thought she knew about their forty-year marriage. Joel's children will soon have to come to terms with this discovery themselves, but for the meantime, they are struggling with their own dilemmas and doubts.

Rosa, a disillusioned revolutionary, has found herself drawn into the world of Orthodox Judaism and is now being pressed to make a commitment to that religion. Karla, a devoted social worker hoping to adopt a child with her husband, is falling in love with the owner of a newspaper stand outside her office. Ne'er-do-well Lenny is living at home, approaching another relapse into heroin addiction.

[Etc.]


5 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment