- Christian anarchist and pacifist. War What Is It Good For, indeed.
- Wealthy. Member of Russian nobility.
- On the eve of his wedding to Sofya he gave her his diaries detailing his extensive sexual history.
- Love your neighbor and God. Don't look to the Church or state for guidance.
- No meat, tobacco, or alcohol. Chastity.
- No Shakespeare.
- Excommunicated by the Russian Orthodox Church.
- Abandoned his wealth and family at the age of 82.
Monday, March 1, 2010
The Last Station
Watching The Last Station made me realize that I know nothing about Lev Tolstoy (other than that his original title for "War and Peace" was "War What Is It Good For?" and his mistress made him change it). So I did some light internet research, no big deal: