Friday, May 8, 2009

It Sucked and then I Cried

It Sucked and then I Cried: How I Had a Baby, a Breakdown, and a Much Needed Margarita
by Heather B. Armstrong

I have been a fairly diligent reader the past couple of weeks but not a diligent blogger. Ironically, the second to last book I've finished was written by my blogging idol -- dooce. You would have thought that I'd hop right on over to the computer after turning the last page. And yet, you would have been wrong. Perhaps I have been using too much of my blogging energy to update Twitter.

In this memoir, dooce recounts her first pregnancy and battle with postpartum depression, for which she ends ups seeking help at a mental institution. Would it be wrong for me to say that this book was highly entertaining? I mean her writing style is why I come back to her blog every day -- hyperbole meets wacky associations meets CAPITAL LETTERS FOR EMPHASIS. She may be talking about feeling intensely uncomfortable during the breastfeeding months or the strains in her marriage, serious topics for sure, but she describes these things as boob-shaped maxi pads that give her crinkly boobs and throwing gallons of milk at her husband's head. OK, yes, when I summarize it like that, she definitely sounds like a crazy lady. But dammit, crazy lady has a good blog.

4 out of 5

P.S. Shouldn't my Blogger spell checker, of all the spell checkers out there in the world, recognize the correct spelling of dooce?? Deep thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment