Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Revolutionary Road

Revolutionary Road
by Richard Yates

April and Frank Wheeler married young, soon after April got pregnant. Two kids and a house in the suburbs later, they are disappointed and frustrated with each other and with their lives. Seriously pretentious, they see themselves as being able to discern the masquerade of suburban society, they see themselves as singular intellectuals, and they see themselves as having the right to pass judgment on their neighbors and their surroundings. Just too haughty! Posers, I think.

Not to give too much of the plot away, the Wheelers decide to leave it all and move to France, but their relationship starts to seriously crumble. Things escalate quickly.

I can't quite put a finger on why I have downgraded my rating. The writing, style-wise, was comfortable to read. Perhaps because the story left me with an indescribable taste in my mouth, bland almost. Surprisingly I didn't find the story tragic or depressing -- the Wheelers created their own calamities. I mean, if everyone could just take a chill pill and repeat my mantra, "No More Drama", we could all turn out swell.

3 1/2 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment