Thursday, October 23, 2008

Luck be a lady tonight

On my walk home from work tonight, I stopped by the National Gallery to see this painting:


"Lady Writing a Letter With Her Maid" by Johannes Vermeer.

With five Vermeer paintings consciously visited and admired, I am on a quest to seek out and pay homage to the other thirty. Unfortunately, The Lady is currently on loan in Tokyo and is not returning to Dublin until January. Without my guide books, I flew by the seat of my pants, if you can say that about something that you would do at an art gallery, and went off exploring on my own. The gallery was nice -- easy to navigate, calm at this time of day, free, and a woman sang baroque music in the corner with some chamber music accompaniment.

I saw a Hals, a Caravaggio, a Modigliani, a Brueghel the Younger, and a Reubens among others. I am only hoping that The Lady does not let me down and returns back to Dublin before I have to leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment