Monday, November 24, 2008

Ran over to the bakery for 20 minutes of free internet

Last night I finished re-reading Anne Frank's Diary of a Young Girl. I bought this commemorative copy in the Anne Frank Huis in Amsterdam:



Something new I learned from the book and the museum: there were several versions of the diary. Version A is the diary Anne originally started writing. While listening to the radio, she heard that the Dutch government encouraged people to save their letters and diaries to have a record of people's wartime experiences after the war. Anne started re-writing bits of Version A and adding notes in the margins. This became Version B. When her father published the diary, it was a combination of Versions A and B, with certain passages excluded, for example parts where Anne talked bluntly about her sexuality -- Version C.

For a change of pace, today I walked into my favorite book shop and purchased the first book of the Twilight series. To make my humiliation more complete, when I couldn't find the book and had to ask the cashier to check if it was in stock, she directed me to the "Teens" section. I can already tell that it's going to be great.

1 comment:

  1. You are just going to love Twilight. It's so romantic. I saw the movie on Friday night, it was way too dramatic. I might have been the oldest person there. All the 13 year old girls cried and wore Twilight t-shirts. For real.


    I think I might have to go see the movie again. I'll take my 16 year old cousin, as a cover.

    ReplyDelete