Monday, March 10, 2008

Brain Thrust Mastery

We Are Scientists's new album, Brain Thrust Mastery, is out in the UK. Brendan, ever the resourceful fellow, was able to get us a listen.

It's pretty amazing. It seems darker than the previous With Love and Squalor, but I love it. I am not going to lie, I might be loving it because I have been sitting around at work all bitter about the cube moving politics drama as I listen to these songs, but that's neither here nor there.

Favorite songs:
After Hours [of course]
Ghouls
Altered Beast
Chick Lit

The CD comes out in the U.S. on March 25.

Also new and refreshing in my playlist rotation are Vampire Weekend with Vampire Weekend, also thanks to Brendan. I have trouble classifying and describing them. Guitars and drums of course, but also violins, and is that a xylophone-sounding keyboard melody in one song and a harpsichord one in another? Amanda notified me that they were the musical guest on Saturday Night Live last Saturday, so I taped the show just for them. Their image and their status as alternative/indie rock musicians was a tiny bit incongruous - their j.crew v-neck cable sweaters made me think of sailing and playing croquet, not rocking out at the 9:30 club. I have to say they are enjoyable though, upbeat, sound like spring and then summer are just around the corner.

3 comments:

  1. There was a story on NPR last week about Vampire Weekend and how people are offended by them.

    They apparently don't like the Ivy league rich kids who sing about the Hamptons and Louis Vuitton :)

    I like the song that sounds like Simon and Garfunkel and talks about Peter Gabriel

    ReplyDelete
  2. why are you so anti jcrew cable-knit sweaters? you will have to invest in some before you go to the shore!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooh NPR - definitely a finer thing.

    and i own a pink polo cable-knit sweater thank you very much. :)

    ReplyDelete