Sunday, March 30, 2008

It's Not You, It's Your Books

In this essay from the New York Times, Rachel Donadio considers "literary deal breakers". Do you or have you judged a potential significant other based on his/her literary tastes? I certainly have. Thinking Dan Brown's novels or Harry Potter are entertaining or fun reads is one thing. Citing them as your favorite books is a turn-off. Lord help you if you do not read at all. Maybe I am a Snooty McSnootsters, but being snooty about things like literature is what enjoying the finer things is all about.

Donadio makes an interesting point though:

Let’s face it — this may be a gender issue. Brainy women are probably more sensitive to literary deal breakers than are brainy men. (Rare is the guy who’d throw a pretty girl out of bed for revealing her imperfect taste in books.) After all, women read more, especially when it comes to fiction.

2 comments:

  1. I like anyone who likes John Irving.

    I hate people who tell me "The alchemist" is the greatest book they've ever read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. I saw this article on jezebel.com - do you read it?

    ReplyDelete